Buying a crop insurance policy is a risk management tool available to agricultural producers. Producers should consider how a policy will work in conjunction with their other risk management
strategies to insure the best possible outcome each crop year.
Producer Obligations - Producers must:
- Report acreage, and any required protection, accurately,
- Meet policy deadlines,
- Pay premiums when due, and
- Report losses immediately.
Note: Contact a crop insurance agent for information regarding your specific obligations.
Producer Expectations - Producers will receive:
- Accurate answers to questions on types of coverage,
- Prompt processing of their policy, and
- Timely payments for covered losses.
- Sales closing date - 03-15-2019 (Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri)
- Final planting date - last day to plant unless insured for late planting.
- Acreage reporting date - last day to report the acreage planted. If not reported, insurance will not be in effect. 7-15-2019 (Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri)
- Date to file notice of crop damage - for a planted crop, notice must be provided within 72 hours of discovery of damage or loss of production (but not later than 15 days
after the end of the insurance period). If there is no damage or loss of production and a revenue plan of insurance is in effect, notice must be given no later than 45 days after the latest date the
harvest price is released. For crops that are prevented from being planted, notice must be provided within 72 hours after the final planting date or the time the producer determines it will not be
possible to plant during any applicable late planting period.
- End of insurance period - latest date of insurance coverage. December 10, 2015
- Payment due date - last day to pay the premium without being charged interest.
- Cancellation date - last day to request cancellation of policy for the next year.
- Production reporting date - last day to report production for APH, ARH, Revenue Protection, and Revenue Protection with harvest price exclusion option.
- Debt termination date - date the approved insurance provider will terminate a policy for nonpayment.